Sources & Resources
There’s no substitute for the better books on Canadian history in general and the flag in particular. (For a listing of these resources, see page 2.) But the following websites will lead you to mountains of useful information.
Books, periodicals, video
A comprehensive bibliography of books relevant to the story of the Canadian flag and its origins would fill many pages and include a host of privately published books and pamphlets, some espousing the retention of the Union Jack or the Red Ensign, others arguing for some new and distinctly Canadian banner. Here is a list of some of the most useful resources accessible either via the internet or from a public library. (Boldface entries are highly recommended):
- Adams, Michael (with Amy Langstaff). Unlikely Utopia: The Surprising Triumph of Canadian Pluralism. Toronto: Viking Canada, 2007.
- Brown, Craig, ed. The Illustrated History of Canada. Rev. ed. Toronto: Key Porter Books, 2000.
- Canada. Department of the Secretary of State. The National Flag of Canada/Le drapeau national du Canada. Ottawa: Queen’s Printer, 1966.
- Carnochan, Janet. “The Origin of the Maple Leaf as the Emblem of Canada.” Papers and Records. Ontario Historical Society. Vol. 7 (1906): 139-46.
- Cinemedia Presents the Canadian Flag [film]. Directed by Ann Pearson, produced by Joseph Koenig, script by Howard Greenspan. Toronto: Cinemedia, 1973.
- Cobb, David. “Our Great Flag Mystery.” Canadian Magazine. January 26, 1974.
- Cook, Ramsay. Canada, Quebec, and the Uses of Nationalism. 2nd edition. Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1995.
- Creighton, Donald, et al. “Canada’s National Symbols: An Appeal to Mr. Pearson.”
The Canadian Forum, June 1964, p. 54.
- Diefenbaker, John G. One Canada: Memoirs of the Right Honourable John G. Diefenbaker.
Vol. 3, The Tumultuous Years, 1962–1967. Toronto: Macmillan of Canada, 1977.
- English, John. Shadow of Heaven: 1897–1948. Vol. 1 of The Life of
Lester Pearson. Toronto: Lester & Orpen Dennys, 1989.
- English, John. The Worldly Years: 1949–1972. Vol. 2 of The Life of
Lester Pearson. Toronto: Knopf Canada, 1992.
- Fraser, Alistair. “A Canadian Flag or Canada.” Now available at CanadaOnline:
- Granatstein, J.L. Canada 1957–1967: The Years of Uncertainty and Innovation. Canadian Centenary Series. Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1986.
- Greaves, Kevin. A Canadian Heraldic Primer. Ottawa: Heraldry Society of Canada, 2000.
- Gwyn, Richard. Nationalism Without Walls: The Unbearable Lightness of Being Canadian. Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1995.
- Ibbitson, John. Loyal No More: Ontario’s Struggle for a Separate Destiny.
Toronto: HarperCollins, 2001.
- Ibbitson, John. The Polite Revolution: Perfecting the Canadian Dream. Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 2005.
- Inauguration of the National Flag of Canada/Inauguration du drapeau national du Canada [film]. Montreal: National Film Board of Canada, 1965.
- Kaplan, William, ed. Belonging: The Meaning and Future of Canadian Citizenship.
Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 1993.
- Matheson, John Ross. Canada’s Flag: A Search for a Country. Belleville, Ont.: Mika, 1986. [The seminal text on the Maple Leaf Flag, written by a member of the Flag Committee.]
- MacGregor, Roy. Canadians: A Portrait of a Country and Its People. Toronto: Viking Canada, 2007.
- McKeown, Robert. “How Canada’s Flag Was Born.” Weekend Magazine, January 23, 1965, pp. 13–14, 30.
- The National Flag of Canada: A Profile. Ottawa: Department of Canadian Heritage, Canadian Identity Directorate, 2000.
- News in Review, May 1998 [videocassette and resource guide]. Toronto: Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 1998. (More info at: http://newsinreview.cbclearning.ca/wp-content/archives/may98/index.htm.)
- Owens, Ann-Maureen, and Jane Yealland. Canada’s Maple Leaf: The Story of Our Flag. Toronto and Buffalo: Kids Can Press, 1999.
- Richler, Noah. This Is My Country, What’s Yours? A Literary Atlas of Canada. Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 2006.
- Smith, Denis. Rogue Tory: The Life and Legend of John G. Diefenbaker.
Toronto: Macfarlane Walter & Ross, 1995. [By far the best biography of the greatest opponent of the Maple Leaf flag.]
- Stanley, George F.G. The Story of Canada’s Flag: A Historical Sketch.
Toronto: Ryerson Press, 1965.
- Stewart, Walter. “The Great Flag Fight.” Star Weekly, July 4, 1964.
- Swan, Conrad. Canada: Symbols of Sovereignty. Toronto and Buffalo: University of Toronto Press, 1977.
- Trudeau, Pierre Elliott. Memoirs. Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1993.
- Wright, Glenn. “First” Flags: A Report on Research Undertaken to Identify and Locate Canada’s First Maple Leaf Flags. National Archives of Canada, 2001. (A pdf file of this research paper should be available from Library and Archives Canada at http://search-recherche.collectionscanada.ca/archives/search.jsp?Language=eng.)
- Znamierowski, Alfred. The World Encyclopedia of Flags: The Definitive Guide to International Flags, Banners, Standards and Ensigns. London: Hermes House, 1999, 2001.